Thursday, January 10, 2008

Isolated...

Why do we feel the most isolated, when we are the most "connected" that we have ever been?? This was one of the questions posed at the mom's group that I attended Tuesday. Our culture is more wired up (internet, Cable TV, cell phones, text messages, etc.) than ever before, yet we are more lonely, depressed, and isolated than ever. This is something that eats at me and weighs on my heart. Whatever happened to just stopping over for coffee? Why do we feel the need to call ahead to each others homes before visiting, and are afraid to just swing by? I'd just like to go on the record as saying that I rather enjoy unexpected visitors. It shows me that they are there to see me and not my home, they expect me to be in the middle of things and don't mind helping or tagging along, and it teaches me to be flexible, welcoming, and patient.

Our lives are so scheduled now that we leave no room for the unexpected. Where will this leave us at Christ's return? Scripture says that we know not the hour of his arrival. When it comes, will we be found waiting and watching for Him, or will He find us stuck in our schedules, kids obligated to everything age-appropriate, too busy to take time out for coffee with a lonely neighbor who just "stopped by". I know that I don't want that to be me, but I'm confronted with how little I'm doing to keep that my focus. I often don't invite other moms over because the house is a wreck or I feel like I've fallen behind in schooling the kids, or a hundred other reasons. No more!! I've decided that this trend in my immediate social circle won't change unless I take steps to change it for me. There's a great quote by Leo Tolstoy:

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.

Well, I'm starting with me! Life is too short to end up at 40 with no close friends to laugh with, cry with, celebrate with, struggle with, and all the other things that God created relationships for.

So, who's with me? I need a banner that reflects my resolve. "Unconditionally welcome", "Intentional hospitality", I don't know... those sound a little pretentious. Surely there are others of you that this issue speaks to who are more creative than I am. Any ideas for what the name of this movement should be?

No comments: