Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Bread, bread, everywhere!

Well, yesterday I made some Strawberry Rolls to take to our monthly mom's get together and my kids were hoping for leftovers, but alas, they got scarfed down lickety split. So, I assured the kids (Curlylocks especially) that we would make replacement rolls today. This began this morning with cinnamon roll dough being mixed up. Somehow it snowballed (breadballed?) into homemade soft pretzles and bagels as well. I was shocked at just how easy it was to make homemade bagels. Lots of little steps, but it actually kind of fits nicely with homeschooling life. Work a little, knead a little, work a little, shape the bagels, work a little, etc.

The recipes for bagels and pretzles I found at www.thefreshloaf.com. I saw this link on a blog here the other day (I'm so sorry, I don't remember who posted it... it was in a comment), checked it out because I love baking bread, and was thrilled at the tutorials there for things I've always deemed too difficult to try myself (bagels and pretzles being at the top of that list).

I am so excited because I've been trying to make more things from scratch lately that seem to cost a ridiculous amount at the grocery store, especially considering what they're made of. Some examples... Refried Beans, Salad Dressing, Bread products, and Popcorn. These things are so easy to make from scratch, yet cost sooooo much at the store. Well, I'm on to 'em!! If you too are looking for simple recipes for these types of items, stay tuned... I'll post some of my new tried and true faves soon.

Mmmm... I smell bagels almost done... gotta run!

Oh!! But I found a fabulous post on a friend's blog about Invisible Mothers!! You must go now and read it! It will change your entire mood!!

No comments: